What follows is Gary Gygax’s Appendix N of Inspirational and Educational Reading with links to where you can purchase the books (or download or read freely in some way) along with some additions as I do research into this genre.
Some listings state “et al.”, I’ve added other books from this author as I come to them, listing them after the et al. After the original Appendix N, I list further authors that my research suggests fits into this reading list.
I’ll try to keep this up to date as I move through the list. I am using links to the versions I’ve purchased myself. Of which, you’ll see that I try to obtain collections in hardcovers, special editions, or omnibus (where possible); so you may see that some prices may be crazy as they go out of print… sorry about that… check eBay or use this as a springboard to search for similar versions. And, always keep in mind there are Kindle versions for many of these. Also, check for free digital version on Project Gutenberg for any material where copyright has expired.
- Anderson, Poul. THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS; THE HIGH CRUSADE; THE BROKEN SWORD
- Bellairs, John. THE FACE IN THE FROST
- Brackett, Leigh.
- Brown, Fredric.
- Burroughs, Edgar Rice. “Pellucidar” Series; Mars Series; Venus Series
- Carter, Lin. “World’s End” Series
- de Camp, L. Sprague. LEST DARKNESS FALL; FALLIBLE FIEND; et al.
- de Camp & Pratt. “Harold Shea” Series; CARNELIAN CUBE
- Derleth, August.
- Dunsany, Lord. 1,
- Farmer, P. J. “The World of the Tiers” Series; et al.
- Fox, Gardner. “Kothar” Series; “Kyrik” Series; et al.
- Howard, R. E. “Conan” Series’ 1, 2
- Lanier, Sterling. HIERO’S JOURNEY
- Leiber, Fritz. “Fafhrd & Gray Mouser” Series 1, 2, 3; et al.
- Lovecraft, H.P. 1, 2
- Merritt, A, CREEP, SHADOW, CREEP; MOON POOL; DWELLERS IN THE MIRAGE; et al.
- Moorcock, Michael. STORMBRINGER; STEALER OF SOULS; “Hawkmoon” Series (esp. the first three books)
- Norton, Andre.
- Offutt, Andrew J., editor SWORDS AGAINST DARKNESS III.
- Pratt, Fletcher, BLUE STAR; et al. The Well of the Unicorn,
- Saberhagen, Fred. CHANGELING EARTH; et al.
- St. Clair, Margaret. THE SHADOW PEOPLE; SIGN OF THE LABRYS
- Tolkien, J. R. R. THE HOBBIT; “Ring Trilogy” 1, 2, 3
- Vance, Jack. THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD; THE DYING EARTH; et al.
- Weinbaum, Stanley.
- Wellman, Manly Wade.
- Williamson, Jack.
- Zelazny, Roger. JACK OF SHADOWS; “Amber” Series; et al.
My “expanded” Appendix N Authors
- Lamb, Harold
- Tolkien, J. R. R. (to include posthumous works edited by Christopher Tolkien)
- Smith, Clark Ashton, Anthology 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Michael Curtis wrote a great essay about CAS in relation to Appendix N