Here’s another item I picked up from the Goodman Games warehouse sale. This is also a collection of essays from a Kickstarter. This one was for “How To Write Adventure Modules That Don’t Suck” (also in PDF).
This 32 page booklet is entirely in black and white and published in 2017. There are no illustrations. As you can see below, each essay is publicly listed within the updates of the Kickstarter. This is just a compilation of those essays in a single booklet.
There is quite a range amongst these essays. There are well written articles, from the likes of DCC usuals Michael Curtis and Brendan LaSalle. Classic authors like Jim Ward. Enjoyable reads, like “The Solitaire Adventure that Changed My Life”, “The First Campaign”, and “Castle Whiterock”. But then there’s a page dedicated to something entirely unintelligible by Merle M. Rasmussen and then something I can only call “WTF did I just waste time reading?” from Chris Clark. I recommend skipping pages 23-26 entirely. The finale is the original article titled “How To Write Adventures That Don’t Suck”. Originally published in The Crusader by the Dark Master, himself.
Table of Contents
- Page 4. “A Bit About Tsojcanth: My Favorite Module, With A Caveat“, by Lloyd Metcalf
- Page 5. “Markessa and the Madman: the Secret of the Slaver’s Stockade“, by Casey W. Christofferson
- Page 7. “Castlemania“, by Michael Curtis
- Page 8. “Falling in Love in the Desert“, by Jean Rabe
- Page 10. “Me Against Nosnra“, by Skip Williams
- Page 12. “The Solitaire Adventure that Changed My Life“, by Lester Smith
- Page 14. “My Favorite Published Adventure: The Sample Dungeon“, by Brendan J. LaSalle
- Page 16. “We Did the Mash“, by Jim Wampler
- Page 17. “The Caverns of Thracia“, by Jon Hershberger
- Page 18. “The First Campaign“, by Kevin Melka
- Page 20. “Playtesting A Legend“, by James M. Ward
- Page 21. “The Random Dungeon Generator“, by Jon Hook
- Page 23. “My Favorite Adventure Must Have Been A Home Grown“, by Merle M. Rasmussen
- Page 25. “My All-Time Favoritist Adventure Ever“, by Chris Clark
- Page 27. “The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh“, by Chris Doyle
- Page 29. “Castle Whiterock“, by Bill Olmesdahl
- Page 30. “Them’s Fighting Words #1: How to Write Adventures That Don’t Suck” (direct link to PDF), by Joseph Goodman
Smoking: Sutliff Aged Maduro Cavendish
Yes, there are some affiliate links above. Don’t use ’em if you don’t want to!